What is a Chargeback?
A chargeback happens when a bank reverses a purchase of in-game paid currency made from your account. In-game paid currencies include:
- RP in League of Legends
- Coins in Legends of Runeterra
- VP in VALORANT
- Wild Cores in Wild Rift
- TFT Coins in TFT Mobile
If you don’t remember reversing the payment, the bank or credit card owner may have done it for you. Or, you may have made a purchase through a third party, and they later reversed the payment. If you’ve lost access to your account due to someone making purchases from it, submit a ticket and we’ll do what we can to help.
Riot Games Chargeback Policy
To combat potential fraud, Riot has a few rules in regards to how it deals with chargebacks:
- Your Riot Account will be suspended once a chargeback occurs. You may be able to regain access to your account by repaying the amount owed (more info on that below).
- If a chargeback occurs on a gifting transaction, both the Riot Account sending the gift and receiving it will be suspended.
- Fraud alerts and Requests for Information (where the cardholder or card-issuing bank verifies the authenticity of a transaction) may be treated as chargebacks.
- If a single Riot Account has multiple chargebacks, Riot has the right to perma-ban that account.
How to Repay Your Chargeback
However a chargeback happens, you can regain access to your account by paying the balance (unless you’ve been perma-banned for multiple chargebacks).
We want to make getting back into your game as painless as possible, so check the list of payback options below to see which works best for you!
(NA, LAN, LAS, EUW, EUNE only)
The Riot Repayments site lets you handle your chargeback using PayPal and Paysafecards. Simply click here and follow the prompts.
The Riot Repayments site is currently only available for Riot Accounts in North America, Latin America, and Europe.
(NA, LAN, LAS, EUW, EUNE, RT, RU, OCE, SEA)
Go to paypal.com and log in. If you don't have a PayPal account, create one by clicking Sign Up in the top right.
Once you've logged in, click the Send button in the upper right of the screen.
- Enter the email address corresponding to your region and currency:
Region Currency NA, LAN, LAS USD Chargebackpayments-US@riotgames.com EUNE, EUW, TR, RU, OCE EUR
Chargebackpayments-EU@riotgames.com SEA SGD Chargebackpayments-SG@riotgames.com
- Click Next.
Enter the following information on the next screen:
- Amount of repayment
- Currency (make sure this matches the email from step 3!)
- In the Add a note section, include your username, summoner name, and region.
PayPal may automatically convert your chosen payment as they only accept certain currencies. In these cases, simply input the amount you need and PayPal will do the rest.
- Click Continue.
Once your payment has posted, it'll take one to two business days for your suspension to be lifted.
Prepaid RP Card
(EUW, EUNE, OCE, BR only)
You'll need to purchase enough cards to repay your entire chargeback. Once you have them, submit a ticket with this information:
- SUBJECT: Chargeback Payment - Prepaid RP card
- Summoner name:
- Card PIN(s):
- Amount per card:
Any money remaining on the submitted cards will be credited to your account as in-game paid currency.
You'll have to submit a ticket if you want to initiate a bank transfer.
First, make sure you've got sole access to your email account, and change the password. Second, submit a ticket. We'll reverse any purchases that we can tell weren't made by you.
Banks consider chargebacks to be fraudulent activity—they'll only reverse a payment if they believe it's unauthorized or otherwise suspicious. We get fined each time a chargeback happens, and too many chargebacks means some banks and card companies may stop doing business with us, which reduces the number of payment methods we can make available. In order to keep payment methods open worldwide, we have to take chargebacks seriously.