If you've encountered Error Code 29, chances are something has gone awry in the interplay between VALORANT and Windows Firewall. This can be further complicated if you're running antivirus software alongside your device's own protective measures. Luckily, there are a few key steps you can take to dispel Error Code 29.
First, it's important to ensure that Windows Firewall recognizes and allows VALORANT (a rather important step). Here's how to make that happen:
- In the Windows search bar, type Windows Defender Firewall and click on it.
- Click Allow a program through Windows firewall.
- Click Change Settings.
- Remove any current VALORANT and Riot Client entries, then add a new one with the Allow another app button.
- Locate C:\Riot Games\VALORANT\live\VALORANT.exe for the new firewall exceptions and click OK.
- On the firewall exceptions, check all boxes for VALORANT and click OK at the bottom.
- Repeat the above process to add an exception for our Anticheat at C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard\vgc.exe and click OK.
- Once more, repeat the process to add an exception for the Launcher at C:\Riot Games\Riot Client\RiotClientServices.exe and click OK.
Some other useful measures to take include making sure you're running the game as the administrator, as well as making sure your anti-virus program isn't interfering with the game.
You can update your anti-virus's settings by adding VALORANT's applications to its list of exceptions. These are the default paths for VALORANT's applications that your anti-virus program will ask for when adding them as exceptions:
- C:\Riot Games\VALORANT\live\VALORANT.exe
- C:\Riot Games\VALORANT\live\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\VALORANT-Win64-Shipping
- C:\Riot Games\VALORANT\live\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealCEFSubProcess.exe
- C:\Riot Games\Riot Client\Riot Client Services.exe
- C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard\vgc.exe
If you decided to install VALORANT elsewhere, the path will be different.
As a last resort, you can also try a full reinstall, making sure to run the program as an administrator like before.
If you've tried the above and are still encountering issues, please feel free to /submit a ticket at the bottom of this page.